This month Leavitt Machinery was just one of the companies to participate in the Heavy Metal Rocks Project. In collaboration with School District No. 73, we helped provide 26 Grade 11 and 12 students the opportunity to explore the wide variety of rewarding career choices as heavy equipment operators in the construction industry.
Held at the T’Kemlups Indian Band gravel pit, students rotated through different stations to operate 13 different types of heavy construction equipment under the direction of experienced operators. Not only do students get the opportunity to operate equipment, they also receive training in:
- Worksafe – New Worker/Young Worker
- Equipment Orientation on various pieces of equipment
- Construction Safety Certification
- Occupational First Aid Certification Level 1
- Basic WHMIS Certification
If you know of any students who are interested in participating in this program and live in the Kamloops area, visit their website to learn more.